You’ll get so many health benefits from drinking this beautiful golden-colored milk! Packed with many anti-inflammatory properties, this turmeric milk latte is creamy, dairy-free, and a great way to pack in the wonderful benefits of turmeric that is easy to make with your favorite plant-based milk.
There are some nights when I feel like I need a hug.
And when I say I need a hug, I mean, I feel like I need a nice warm hug from the inside out and this golden milk latte was exactly what I needed.
I had just put my kids to bed and finally got a chance to sit down to collect my thoughts.
I was busy all day between kids, laundry, cooking, breaking up the usual sibling arguments, coloring, homeschooling, and just trying to be the best darn mom I could be.
To say I needed a hug was an understatement.
So after I put my kids to bed, I warmed up some oat milk, added a little bit of maple syrup, and started sipping my warm bevy.
But for some reason, it just wasn’t hitting the spot!
Have you ever had moments like that? You make something to eat or drink, thinking it’s going to satisfy your craving, but as soon as you get into it, you’re quickly looking for an alternative.
So of course, I go off into my kitchen, searching through my pantry items, trying to find that thing to make it better – although I had no clue what that thing was.
I remember right when I transitioned to plant-based, I was feeling terrible.
My joints were always aching for no apparent reason; there were times I couldn’t even hold my coffee mug or I open the lid to a jar.
When I went to my doctor to find out what I could do to decrease the inflammation in my body, she suggested I start consuming lots of healing herbs and spices.
I remember I researched like CRAZY, all the foods and spices I could start incorporating into my meals that had amazing health benefits, and turmeric was always one of those spices that stood at the top of the list.
So, seeing that my night was filled with lots of bending, twisting, and turning from all the day’s events, my body NEEDED that internal hug – deep from the out.
So, I whipped up a batch of this vegan golden milk & THIS hit the spot.
This is such a soothing drink – hot or cold – you can even turn this recipe into an iced golden milk latte and it would taste equally as good!
I’m not sure if it’s the warming spices of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and black pepper but it hits the spot every single time.
In my Golden Tumeric Spiced Milk, I added:
- Turmeric: The star of the show here! In this recipe, I used ground turmeric which is easily found in most grocery stores or sold online. But if you have fresh turmeric, use that instead!
- Oat milk: I used my own homemade oat milk creamer to make this vegan golden milk but if you are short on time, I suggest using your favorite plant-based milk here.
- Cinnamon: This adds a subtle sweetness to the turmeric milk latte & also helps to balance your blood sugars if you use any added sweeteners.
- Ginger: Ginger is very soothing for stomach troubles, and it is loaded with antioxidants that help your body fight off chronic diseases such as colds, arthritis, and hypertension.
- Maple syrup: I love using maple syrup as my sweetener of choice. Maybe it’s Canadian of me, but I find that maple syrup gives a robust caramel richness to the drink that I love, without being overbearing and too sweet.
- Nutmeg: A nice warming spice that complements the turmeric & cinnamon.
- Pinch of sea salt: Balances out the sweetness and adds beneficial minerals.
- Black Pepper: Adding black pepper helps to make the benefits of turmeric more available to the body.
Why You’ll Love This Golden Milk Drink
- It’s Caffeine-Free: As much as I’m a caffeine-a-holic (there’s nothing better than a good cup of dark roast made with my Homemade Oat Milk Creamer), some days, I want a caffeine-free drink to sip, especially before bed.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties: Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric which aids in blocking inflammation.
- It’s Quick & Easy to Make: This recipe whips up in less than 5 minutes – perfect if you’re needing something quick and satisfying to drink.
- Is better than Starbucks: I don’t mean to throw shade here (because I do love a good Starbucks drink!) but spending $6 on a drink that you can make for less than a few dollars at home, is worth it in my opinion. Plus, you get to control a lot of the additives that they would use in-store – in particular, sugar.
How To Make Your Own Vegan Golden Milk
Heat your stove to medium and add all your ingredients into a small pot. Heat slowly while whisking until your spices are well incorporated into your plant-based milk.
Once your golden milk latte is heated, strain out any remaining spices if you need them, or pour your golden milk latte straight into your mug & enjoy.
This recipe pairs well with:
So here’s your recipe on how to make Vegan Turmeric Golden Milk!
Vegan Turmeric Golden Milk
- 1 cup oat milk or your favorite plant-based milk
- 1-2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- pinch of ground cinnamon, ginger nutmeg, black pepper & sea salt
- bay leaf
- black peppercorns
- star anise
- Add your oat milk, turmeric, maple syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger to a small pot and heat on medium heat. Whisk well until all is combined well.
- Continue to whisk your golden milk until it gets nice & frothy.
- Once heated well, pour into your mug, sprinkle some more ground cinnamon on top and crack some fresh black pepper. Alternatively, you could add the black pepper to your heated mixture and strain your milk into your mug before serving.
- Drink as is and enjoy!
- The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin which helps with decreasing inflammation in the body.
- Turmeric can stain your surfaces and clothing very easy – make sure to avoid splashing or spilling to avoid stains.
- If you’re concerned about turmeric staining your teeth, you can let the golden milk latte cool slightly, and drink through a straw.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment below & let me know if you’ve ever tried a Golden Milk Latte before! And don’t forget to subscribe to my email list – you’ll be the first to know when a new recipe gets published + you’ll receive a FREE KITCHEN ESSENTIALS EBOOK!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.ca. Read my full disclosure here.